This position is responsible for creating computer generated vinyl and/or full colour graphics output that can be weeded, cut and applied or printed and mounted to a substrate. This may involve various levels of artistic creativity and will ultimately lead to the complete or modified design from customer drawings, files, or exact output of customer-provided design for output to media. This position may at times interact with customers to determine their needs and satisfaction.
- Prioritize each day to efficiently and cost-effectively schedule the workflow.
- Determine the best output method based on the customer’s need.
- Read and interpret a Work Order, according to written instructions.
- Work with co-workers and customers with file transfers, FTP access, photo library options, online proofs, etc.
- Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy.
- Prepare comprehensive illustrations, sketches, layouts, and copy for print reproduction according to instructions of client or supervisor.
- Allocate appropriate amount of time to each work order.
- Inspect jobs for accuracy before sending them to the plotter or printer. Ensure correct material is used for all jobs and output device settings are accurate.
- Process re-cuts and reprints as necessary.
- Customer maintenance and sourcing: scanning, editing, using the FASTSIGNS Digital Asset Library, etc.; convert graphic files.
- Image Sourcing: locate photos, understand copyright laws and release/usage requirements, knowledge of resources to buy stock images, work with service bureaus to create output beyond store capability, and understand resolution options and optimal enlargement specifications from image vendors and image originals.
- Provide proofs as necessary for customer approval.
- Perform daily/weekly computer back-ups; archive files as necessary.
- Maintain all equipment including but not limited to; computers, plotters and printers.
- Maintain accurate electronic and paper record of File Storage and Disks as specified in the FASTSIGNS Operations Manual.
- Minimize waste by efficiently utilizing appropriate inventory.
- Communicate with other employees and customers: Sales/Service members on job requirements, timing, and special needs; Sign Maker(s) on job input and output; Production Manager/Center Manager on inventory needs for computer supplies; Customers and outside vendors on file conversion needs.
- Help unload raw materials; clean and maintain storage areas.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provide production assistance as requested.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes.
- Communicate with other employees and customers in a calm and professional manner; express self verbally and listen well.
- Report inventory levels and stock to be reordered to the manager.
- Increase knowledge of computer graphic design and sign making through reading trade publications and independent study.
- Keep the graphics areas neat, clean and organized.
Participate in and practice the FASTSIGNS sales mentality of “Everybody Sells”. Constantly be looking for sales opportunities for the center. Serve as a backup for answering the phone if the franchise partner, manager and sales/service employees are busy assisting other customers. Assist at the front counter as needed. Understand the sales process enough to consult with customers to determine project needs and solutions.